Monday, February 6, 2012

What life is like... Part 1

People often ask me how I feel about living in Guatemala, don't I  miss America?

Of course I miss it.  I miss my friends, and driving, and knowing what people are saying, and eating normal food, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Matthew 10:39 tells us, "If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it." Before, I was so comfortable, I almost didn't need God, It was so easy, I could do it one my own. I didn't rely on him daily, I just did it myself.

Don't get me wrong, I loved God, prayed daily, read my bible, and had been saved by the grace of God, but I didn't always completely depend on Him for my needs.
 Matthew 6:24 says "No one can serve to masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money,"
When I lived in America, this was exactly what I was trying to do. I tried my best to serve God, but I was also a slave to money and and the other comforts in America. But the bible tells us we can't love them both, which means that often times, I was putting other things before God. Here in Guatemala, we don't have much stuff, or many comforts, and it forces us to put our hope in God, and to fully rely on Him.

Matthew 6:19-21 says, "Don't store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasure in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will be also."
I may have given up a lot of worldly stuff, but that stuff won't last. What will last is the eternal things, like the lives of these kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment