Thursday, May 24, 2012


I remember talking to another missionary kid just before we moved here and asking him, "Do you love being a missionary kid?" I remember hearing his response, and being kind of disappointed by it.

"I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it."

Before coming here, I couldn't relate with that at all. I had no idea what he meant. I expected him to say he absolutely loved it, because that's what I wanted to be able to say one day. Now, I know exactly what he means, and I think all MK's feel that way at some point or another.

I think that people who have never lived overseas don't really understand this. They think our lives are fun and that we get to do cool things all of the time, its like a never-ending vacation, but reality is-its usually not like that.
Sometimes, things get hard, and you wonder what in the world you were thinking when you agreed to move here. You miss America, and your friends, and your house, and the food, and everything you used to feel comfortable with. Sometimes you just want to be able to communicate with your new friends, but they speak a different language. Sometimes you want to leave your house without feeling like you have to be super careful because its not always safe, or you just want a hot shower. Sometimes you just want to cry, wondering what has happened to your life...

Then I remember Paul, and all of the hard times he went through as a missionary. "I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Compared to Paul, my hard times look insignificant, but because of everything Paul went through, even more people got to know Jesus, and Paul is one the greatest missionaries ever, and one of the coolest people in the bible (after Jesus of course). Through all of the hard times, God used him for His glory, and I pray that He would do the same with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment