Monday, May 28, 2012

The other day we went to visit the home of three kids who attend the manna feeding program as well as the school. Two of the kids are deaf, and the other one does not speak Spanish, only Kachiqel, the Mayan language.

(Rolando)

 
 (Estela and Candelaria)

We struggled to carry cement blocks up to the house way on top of the mountain, so that they could have a stove. It was a tough hike, and we slipped and fell in the mud many times while trying to walk up the small, steep, mountain paths. By the time I got to the top I was sore and blistered, and out of breath, and covered in mud. I only had about 2 seconds to feel sorry for myself before I realized I was the lucky one.

Rolando, Candelaria, and Estela make that walk every day, and a lot of times in worse conditions than I do. They live with their dad, who spends most of his time drunk, and their elderly grandmother. They don't have the choice to hop in a car and drive up there when's its raining, they can't even take a shower to get the mud off of them afterwards, because they don't have running water. They bath by sitting in mud room with a pot of boiling water, trying to make the steam clean them.

The things I see in Guatemala never fail to amaze me, but I'm usually left feeling like a wimp. Who am I to complain, when I've got the good life? But even more than that, I have Jesus. So many people do not, and are left hopeless in this cruel world

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Even though sometimes life seems hard, we have hope. Eternal hope.  And we need to bring hope to others, hope in Jesus Christ.

While building them a stove may give them temporary hope, that's not what is important, and that is not what will last, but through this, as we build them a stove, I hope that we are able to help them build a relationship with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment