Friday, November 16, 2012

 This was supposed to be posted on August 23rd, but my computer crashed, so here it is now!

 I cannot believe it has been a year since we hopped on plane and moved to Guatemala. Some days I feel like we have just begun, while other days I am left asking myself, "Has it really only been one year?" While this has definitely been the hardest year in my 17 years of life, it has also been the most rewarding. My faith has been stretched to to limits farther that I imagined. I have experienced so many things in the past year, and I have learned so much. So, in honor of my first year, here are 25 things I have learned in Guatemala.
1. Spanish. I never would have imagined I would know this much Spanish, yet I have a long way to go. I have a whole new appreciation for the foreigners that come to America.
2. Even though there is a language barrier, kids are kids no matter what. You don't necessarily need words to play with a child. The best sermons are lived, not preached.
3. Skype can either be your best friend, or your worst enemy. While it is great to be able to see and talk to your friends back home, the majority of the conversation is usually spent asking, "Can you hear me now?"
4. Being called fat is a good thing, it means you have food.
5. When you play signs, don't lean back, or you may break a chair... or four.
6. Americans are so blessed, beyond what we even imagine.
7. You can, in fact, live with leaks in your roof. I have six in my room alone.
8. Avocado popsicles are not as nasty as they sound.
9. Retaining walls are really important when you live on a mountain.
10. Don't drink the water. Trust me it is not worth it, unless you like spending all night in the bathroom, but the green pills can usually fix that.
11.Terracotta. Yep, terracotta. Very few of you will actually understand this one, but those of you who do will laugh.
12. Fireworks are great at any time of the year.
13. I now know how to make a tortilla, but mine will never be as good as Elsa's.
14. Some friendships can break the language barrier.
15. You can fit more people into your car than you would think.
16. McDonalds is way better here. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I miss American food, but regardless, Guatemalans take their jobs at McDonalds here seriously. The bathrooms are actually clean, and you can get waited on.
17. It is ok if things do not happen on time, they rarely ever will be in Guatemala.
18. Going along with number 17- be flexible!
19. Blessings come when you least expect it.
20. Its the little things.
21. I seriously have the coolest people in my life.
22. All you need is a little bit of faith, and God will blow you away with what He can do.
23. Always keep toilet paper with you.
24.Sometimes it may seem likes its impossible, but nothing is impossible with God, let Him handle it.
25.Don't ever doubt what God can do, he will probably prove you wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Well Worth The Wait. I am glad you got your computer back.

    ReplyDelete