Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The unforgettable Christmas gift

At the risk of sounding like a scrooge, I'm just going to go ahead and say it- I hate what Christmas has turned into.

 I haven't gotten on Facebook very much lately because it just make me sad. Everyone is talking about the gifts they got, and I can't help but think of the kids who can't even afford Christmas dinner, or worse yet the kids who have never heard the reason Christmas exists.

Some people have even posted about how much their presents costs as if this is some kind of contest to try to outdo everyone else with how much we can spend. I can't help but think of the people who will never in their lives come across that much money.

And then there are the people who aren't thankful and who complain because they didn't get what they want. That's what makes me really sad... I want more than anything for them to understand.

I can't help but think that Jesus is watching all of this with a broken heart too. We've turned the celebration of His birthday into some kind of horrible contest of who has the best gifts. And in the race for the best presents we barely even give Jesus a second thought. My prayer is that we would remember the real meaning of Christmas. Its not enough to just hashtag #CHRISTmas after talking about everything you received. Christmas is not about presents, its about His presence.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given... And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

That, my friends, is the greatest gift we could ever receive! And even better, its free- freely given to you and to I, but it cost more than you or I will ever be able to understand. And that is why I wrote this post- because I don't ever want us to forget the price he paid. 

Father God, I come to you with a heavy heart. I am sorry for what my generation has turned your son's birthday into. Forgive us for making it about us instead of a day to bring glory to you. Help us to make a change Lord. Let us give you all of the glory. Let us remember the real meaning of Christmas. In your son's precious and holy name I pray. Amen


3 comments:

  1. I had a lovely Christmas yesterday. I spent it helping a neighbor girl (she'll be 6 next week) make Christmas cookies for her family. I had to go to the capitol to get decorations, and I had to figure out how to make frosting myself, but it was worth it to see her really open up. Her uncle even came and took some pictures to send to her dad in the States (yes, illegally). And that all actually opened up a conversation, because I'm not sure why the Guatemalans have apple ornaments; so I asked her uncle if it had some significance. It allowed me to talk about how Easter uses eggs as a symbol of life where it doesn't appear there is any.

    (Sadly, he really didn't know if the apple had any significance. He just told me that the apple, the grape, and the pear are the three main fruits of Christmas in Guatemala.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how much i am dislike this time of the year:( I hate the guy in the coca cola outfit and his cronies. Not to crazy about the Christmas tree either, but only because a Christian preacher was one of the first to bring it into the home not to trill but i am trying. If people would do the research on the original celebration i think they would be a bit shocked. I am a scrooge and proud of it. I love Christ and that He came for me and you and everyone that believes, and to be honest i try to celebrate Him with my walk each day so to me His birthday or what we are sold to believe the day to be, It really does not change my devotion. It is not just that He was born what we should celebrate, but that He came and all that he did while He was walking this world and now that He reminds in us by His Spirit. For many are called but few are chosen. Many hear; few believe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Christmas Eve was a special one. We had friends over (Isaak & Marti Russell) and ate like Kings. Then we watched a video presentation Trent made from the Mormon ad's, it ended up being one of the most beautiful and spiritual Christmas Eve's we've spent with the children and a wonderful way to celebrate the birth of our Savior.



    SEOServices

    ReplyDelete