Thursday, December 6, 2012

What I've learned as a homeschooler

I used to think that homeschoolers were weird. I was right. We are pretty different.:)

When I was in public school, I never really fit in. I tried.  I tried buying the name brand clothes, but there was always someone prettier. I tried being athletic, but I wasn't the best. I tried being smart, but I was never the top of my class. What I have come to learn, is that no matter how hard you try, there is always going to be someone better, and you are never going to know who you truly are until you decide that its cool to be uncool. When you decide not to follow the crowd and just be who you are- that's when you will be the best- the best at being you.

I remember when I first decided to start homeschooling, someone told me that was going to make me unsocial. I told them that if the things others were doing to be social after school- drugs, drinking, having sex, and making it seem like God doesn't exist were what they considered social, then I prefer to be unsocial thank you very much. :)

At home we always joke about how I'm the valedictorian, cheer captain, soccer captain, school president and the homecoming queen in my school of one. While of course we are just kidding, it kind of makes me realize how silly all of those titles can be. Most of the time, its just a popularity contest. While many of these things are good things- and there are many talented people who work hard towards these accomplishments- sometimes, people act like its the end of the world when they are not chosen. I have come to learn that you just have to be yourself. Because, while you may be the valedictorian and homecoming queen in your school- you could move anywhere else and not be. True happiness means discovering who you are and what God has called you to be. Because I'm pretty sure when you stand in front of God one day and He asks what you did with the life He gave you, He'll be more concerned about what you did to make Him known than what you did to make yourself known.

"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.  For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever." -1 John 2:15-17

Along with being unsocial, many people think homeschoolers lounge around in their pajamas every day, not accomplishing much. This may not be a complete lie, because I can do my school work in my pj's, but I promise you that most homeschoolers learn a lot. I have come to terms with the fact that I will never be a math scholar, but I am getting more real world experiences than I would get just reading a textbook. I get my business class from when I have to translate for lawyers and accountants and when I make spreadsheets for Village of Hope or take "field trips" to the bank to help with financial matters. I have gotten the privilege of  working along side doctors and dentists translating for them and learning from their knowledge. They have taught me about cysts, surgeries, diagnostics, cavities, pulling teeth, and so much more. I've assisted carpenters, plumbers, and electricians and my Child Development class is the real deal. I've learned about adoption, attachment and prenatal care. No carrying around fake babies for me, we work with the real ones.


But what I love best about being homeschooled is- nobody can kick Jesus out of my school. If I want to put off my science in order to spend extra time reading my bible, I am pretty sure my teacher would be okay with that.

My name is Addisyn Block, I am a homeschool nerd- and I'm thankful.

26 comments:

  1. Love this Addisyn! Hope my kids are as nerdy as you :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I got the privilege of hearing you share your heart in central IL. I'm thrilled how God is using your daily learning/growing opportunities to become exactly who He created you to be! Tell your momma to relax - she's doin' real good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this should be in the new york times, it should shut down the internet with comments, it should win SOMETHING. this girl is AMAZING.... i applaud you, i admire you, i love you and i dont even know you. mama, yes, i think its all going to be ok. and someday i will meet this gorgeous young woman in heaven and tell her how wonderful i think she it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just amaze the socks of me Addisyn. I mean really. I am so enjoying your blog and so impressed that you have such a ministry already at your age. Keep it up! Keep on shining for Jesus! (and hug your mom for me!) :) [Oh and I was homeschooled too so I hear ya!]

    ReplyDelete
  5. from one homeschool nerd to another, I love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. from one homeschool nerd to another, i love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read the first two paragraphs I felt as if I was looking into the future. And as I continued reading, it reminded me of a conversation I had with my baby just last night. I realized that God always raises us up in the way He knows is best. In Him we Trust, and in Him we find HOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply put Addy...YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! I can't even begin to tell you how much this post means to my heart. The Lord has really been working on us the past 6-8 mths about homeschooling Joshua. God keeps putting friends in my life that homeschool and now this precious post. I ask that you please pray for our family as we prayerfully consider taking Joshua out of school. I don't want the decision to be all about me but, about what God wants for his precious son. Love and miss you all. Oh, and btw you are the "coolest" nerd I know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. girl friend, you are a rockstar! BEAUTIFULLY written. so grateful for how Christ radiates through everything you said. praise His name.

    so excited to think of how He will continue to use you for His name and renown!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Addisyn ROCKS at our house!!!! You are a light my sister!!! And praying my kids follow in your footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the risk of sounding redundant~~ GREAT article :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. At the risk of sounding redundant~~GREAT article!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Addy! I love this! You have no idea how perfect your timing is.. as we're really praying on whether or not to homeschool Nandini and Eli next year. LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog post. And you!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Addisyn Block, my friend, you are a gem. Your heart is lovely!! I enjoy reading your posts so much, not just because every word I read I say, "Me, too!", but because Jesus shines so radiantly through you. You are a blessing, sister, never give up.
    Mattie

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE it, Addy!

    I have graduated 7 of my home schooled children, and not a one of them is lacking in social skills. :) They may have never earned all of the high school "titles", but their life experiences far surpass those of their peers.

    I look forward to seeing all that the Lord has for you in the years ahead. Keep walking with Him, and He will make your paths straight.

    Hugs!

    Mama D. & the gang :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you have more wisdom than most adults I know.
    you go girl, let your light shine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the glimpse into your life. As a homeschool mom of a pretty large multi racial family who does mission work in Mexico, and often feels like I might be failing my children by living outside of whats "normal"...thankyou. Keep shining Jesus' light!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can only pray that my children will grow up with the wisdom that you have. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. From a homeschooling momma of a 9, 7, 4(she's in China but will be home soon =), and 2 year old, thank you. I needed the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praise The Lord! This is every homeschool moms dream! Celebrating with you Amy!!!
    Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Words of wisdom from such a young woman! Thank you for writing this....I am a homeschool mom who needed to hear this today!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A. to the MEN. .......love it love it love it.
    from a HS mama of 4. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Addisyn, I enjoyed reading your homeschooling story. I homeschooled my children from birth through high school graduation, and now I serve as the editor for our state homeschooling organization, MACHE. Would you be willing to share this story with our readers? (Moms love to read about other families' experiences.) If you are interested, please send your permission to print this blog post to info@mache.org with "Paper MACHE" in the subject line, and mention that "Tracie" requested it. Thanks for your consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing this! I'm a mom raising a bunch of homeschooled nerds & it did my heart good to read your words!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the blogger
    lovers however this paragraph is genuinely a
    pleasant paragraph, keep it up.

    Feel free to visit my blog; cash advance no credit

    ReplyDelete