Thursday, May 2, 2013

Out of your zone


A few weeks ago, I sat in a small room in the American School in Guatemala City along with eight other teenagers who were taking the ACT. We didn't have anything thing in common except for the fact that we don't fit in.

During one of the test breaks I asked one of the other kids where he was from. He kind of chuckled and shook his head. Then he looked and me and said, "I don't know." He went on the tell me that he had lived in 4 different countries, but he had never stayed in one place long enough for it to feel like home. I think that's what life is like for a lot of missionary kids. We are stuck between different countries and cultures, and we don't belong in any of them.

In some ways, never knowing where I come from or where I belong has been so hard for me. Is home in Guatemala or Texas or Indiana or Illinois or Pennsylvania or one of the many other places I have lived? Is home a place or a feeling? Is home where the family is? Is home where the heart is? To be honest, I don't have an answer. I'm homeless, both in the physical sense (our family seriously owns no house) and sentimentally. But on the other hand, this feeling of not belonging anywhere has made me cling to my savior all the more. While I may not have a home here on earth, I am a citizen of Heaven, and I know that there is a place waiting for me.

I have come to realize that as a Christian, I am not supposed to feel like I fit in or belong, because I don't belong on any place here on this earth.  This place is only temporary. We are not supposed to ever be comfortable, because the moment we start feeling safe is when we start trusting in our security instead of depending on God. When we feel comfortable, we lose our sense of urgency to find those who are lost and to help those who are hurting.

I recently read a quote that said, "The greatest enemy to human potential is your comfort zone" I think its pretty safe to assume that God's potential is way greater than ours could ever be, but in order for Him to work in us, we have go to get out of our comfort zone. I think that the Lord allows us to feel like we don't belong here so that we anxiously wait for the day that we get to be with Him. He allows us to struggle, because it in is these difficult times that our faith is strengthened and we turn to Him.

I know that as a human, comfort is appealing to us. That's why we stay in hotels that are labeled as comfortable. We shoes that are comfortable to walk in and clothes that are comfortable to wear. We eat food that brings us comfortable and we surround ourselves with people that we are comfortable around. That is not how Christ intended for it to be! I don't think Daniel was comfortable when he spent the night with lions.  I'm sure Job wasn't comfortable when God stripped him of everything he had on this earth. I bet Paul wasn't comfortable all those times when he was persecuted, and I can guarantee that Jesus was not comfortable when he hung on that cross, but think of how those stories were used for the glory of God!

Following Jesus is not supposed to be easy, its really hard. It requires dying to yourself in order to live for Christ. It means picking up your cross daily to follow Him. The cross isn't a piece of jewelry that we wear around our neck, it is a weapon of torture! But it will be worth it on the day that we stand face to faith with the Father and he tells us, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

I encourage you to take that first step out of your comfort zone and into the unknown. Let God guide your path, one step at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Addisyn,

    You don't know me but i've corresponded with your mom a couple of times.

    This morning i woke up remembering a dream i was having about you talking with some younger children about Jesus. You were so happy (and at home) with them that the dream just prompted me to praise the Lord for your love of God and your service in His Kingdom. Addisyn, you are truly blessed with an insight into what it means to be "a stranger and a pilgrim in this world". JOY - Jesus, Others, Yourself - what a joy you are to the Lord, your family and others. And to quote verse 22 from today's (17th) proverb - "A joyful heart is good medicine..." joy is also for yourself!

    Trusting in Jesus,
    helen






    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I have loved reading through your blog! I live in Asia and lead a youth group for international kids in my city. Even though it's a different continent, I know we can all relate so much to what you say. I was personally encouraged by this post b/c I'm actually moving away in a couple weeks and it's so hard, but reading this reminded me that Gd has more for me and wants to challenge me in new, crazy ways. Blessings in all you do!

    Amber Goodloe

    ReplyDelete