Tuesday, May 28, 2013


"Why did God have to make my life and my family this way?"

Rip. my. heart. out.

Speechless, I stared into Rosa's deep brown eyes. In all honestly, It was a good question.


Rosa comes by our house almost every day. She's usually just passing by, bringing flowers, asking for something to fill her aching belly...or just looking for hope in a place where she feels like she matters. Whenever I can, we sit together on the porch as she eats and I listen to her story. She has begun to open up to me, and that I consider a privilege.

I remember one day we sat on the porch, watching her brothers play and eating peanut butter sandwiches. We had just read a bible story about friends, so I asked, "Who is your best friend?" I got tears in my eyes as she pointed at me.

Sometimes I feel incapable when I look at the world around me. Everywhere I look there are broken and hurting people like Rosa, and it doesn't make sense to me.

Why does her life have to be that way?

Why does she have to live in an abusive situation.

Why does she never have anything to eat at home?

Why can't she go to school?

Why do all 12 of her siblings live in one room?

Why can't she be a normal kid?

Not fair doesn't begin to describe it.

 Anything I could come up in response to her question  seemed so cliche.  Its simple to say God is good all the time for someone whose life is all in all pretty good. But what about for someone who has absolutely nothing good in her life. How does that sound to a child with no hope, to someone who is called 'lice' by the community around her.


Her question has left me thinking, and I still don't have an answer. I don't know that I ever will this side of Heaven. All I know is that God's ways are not our ways, and His thoughts are not our thoughts... and I know HE doesn't call her 'lice' HE calls her His precious child.

It makes me think of the quote, "Sometimes I would like to ask God why he allows poverty, famine and injustice in the world, when He could do something about it...but I'm afraid He may ask me the same question."

While I may not know why bad things happen, I do know that when we see something wrong, and we have the ability to do something about it, we are responsible to do something about it. (James 4:17) Its not enough just to look into the face of injustice and say "poor you." You must take action.


“... Let us love, not just in word or speech, but in truth and action.”

- I John 3:18

2 comments:

  1. I too have asked these questions as I look at all the pain and agony so many in this world live with day after day. To have a Mother leave her toddler at the orphanage, not because she doesn't love him, but because she says she can't watch him go to bed hungry again tonight - that he deserves better than what her love can give him. To watch as a teenager is forced to work to support sick and dying parents when her wish, her dream is to get an education to give her a brighter future. I too cling to the knowledge that our God IS GOOD. That I may not understand, but that if these things break my heart, imagine how they must break his? Thank you for sharing, I will continue to keep Rosa and her siblings in my prayers. Love from South Africa,
    Shoshanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. I couldn't agree more. Every week in Bible study my leader asks the same question, "cuando vamos a empezar? cuando?"
    I read a book this past week and it contained a phrase that has played over and over in my head. I too have questioned the purpose of pain in the world and why a loving God would allow it to continue. However, that's not question. God did send an answer. 2000 years ago on a cross. The phrase says, "God is not the AUTHOR of every event that occurs, be He is the MASTER of every event. God can use the events for our good if we release the hold and allow Him to take control." That's not the exact phrase, but the general idea! haha!
    He never planned for us to hurt. Because sin came into the world so did pain and hurt. This pain and the desire for release from it should be our drive as CHRISTians to spread the word about the Healer or all and Master Restorer.
    Sorry, don't mean to preach! lol! This is a subject the Father has been convicting me of recently!
    Love your blog by the way, I have enjoyed reading! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete