Wednesday, May 15, 2013

You know you're a missionary kid when...

I read a post the other day about how to tell if you're a third culture kid, so I decided to make my own list. :)

You know you're a missionary kid if...

1.You don't know where home is.
2.The question "Where are you from?" does not come with a short answer.
3.Your life story uses the phrase "Then we went to..." five times.
4.You'd rather never say hello than have to say goodbye.
5. You think football is played with a round spotted ball.
6.You realize how small the world is.
7.You go to a church you have never been in before and find your picture on their bulletin board.
8.You had a passport before you had a drivers license.
9.You've missed a Skype call due to confusing the time zones.
10.Your neighbors say, "I met an American once" and then ask if you know them.
11 Sometimes you do..
12.You've spoken at many churches even though you aren't a pastor.
13.Your friends are mostly people that visited for a week.
14.You're surprised when a driving rule is enforced.
15.All black people do not look remotely alike, nor do Hispanics or Asians.
16.You don't know whether to write the date as month/day/year or day/month/year.
17.You know whats its like to be the minority.
18.You're used to people rubbing your skin or touching your hair because they've never seen anything like it.
19.You don't take anything for granted.
20.People all over the world know who you are, but you have no idea who they are.
21.Way to often you have surprised people by saying, "I know what you said" in their language
22.You are used to people staring.
23.You divide your friends based on where they live.
24.You're not afraid to eat food that you can't even pronounce.
25.You have found yourself struggling to read what something says, only to realize that you're trying to read in a different language.
26.Switching languages in mid-sentence seems normal to you.
27.You are not surprised to see people peeing or sleeping on the side of the road.
28.Seeing 16 people in the back of a truck seems normal.
29.There is always room for one more person on the bus- even if that means hanging off the side.
30.You know words in another languague that you don't even know in your national language.
31.You have no clue whats in style.
32. People have asked you what language you think in.
33.You feel surprisingly at home in an airport.
34.You are a giant compared to your friends.
35.You've been to the places most teenagers only read about in their textbooks.
36.You know the value of peanut butter.
37.You have rainy season and dry season, not spring, summer, fall, and winter.
38.You get annoyed when people waste.
39.You understand what all of these mean.


14 comments:

  1. About 36...I just found peanut butter made that has started to be made in Thailand therefore it's not quite as expensive. Prior to that it was a requested item from the US and/or I hoarded it from stores during my trips to India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number 30- I can attest to that:-)! Multiple times I heard you ask someone what that word was in English:-). Miss you, sister, and wish I could be there with you now more than you can know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose your list depends a little bit on where you are a missionary kid at. Some missionaries still have 4 seasons; some have none (I imagine).

    In other news, you can have all my peanut butter. It seems that every team I translate for gives me a jar or two and I am so SICK of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PEANUT BUTTER!! So true! We could get it in Bolivia so those studying there would bring it back to Argentina, we'd have to take some oil out, add a little salt and then mix it good! YUMMY!!! I wonder what it would taste like since I've had the "un-real" stuff for so long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addisyn - I was so excited to stumble upon your blog. I'm a writer who is working on a Missionary Kids Adventures series. I would love to get more information about what it is like being on mission in Guatemala! My first novel is set in Prague, CZ, but I am planning to have the second one set in Bolivia or possibly Guatemala. I have a niece from Guatemala, but haven't had the chance to visit there yet and would love to learn more about it. If you're interested in reading my stories and letting me know what you think and/or answering tons of ridiculous questions, you can email me at feliciabowenbridges@gmail.com. My first story is not yet published - in fact, I'm at a Christian Writers Conference now and have just been asked to send an outline of the next two stories - so I need to get started. All the best and I'm praying for you and your family as you serve. I also loved your list - it is not that different from my life growing up as an Army brat although it sounds like there is less "olive drab" involved. (Olive drab is that lovely green color the Army paints everything). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are a lot of similarities - that's why I like the term Third Culture Kid (TCK) from Dave Pollock's book of the same name. It includes MKs, Military Brats, Diplomat's kids, international business kids, etc. I'm an MK myself, but it's always fun finding the things I have in common with other TCKs.
      ~Ruth
      (I know, I'm late to the conversation, I just found Addisyn's blog...)

      Delete
  6. I have to agree with the 95% of them! I'm also a missionary's kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our family Kool-aid was just as valuable as peanut butter. Helped with water that was both filtered and boiled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know you're an MK if you recognize some of the people in the comments of "You know you're an MK"

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome!! I'm a MK as well. Most of these perfectly described my life when I lived in Honduras! For me and my sister we got excited when we found a Dr. Pepper in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were so great! :D There wasn't a single one of these that didn't fit me, so being a missionary kid in Mexico must not be very different from Guatemala.

    Oh, and number 18- when I went to Peru the kids liked to pull on the hair on my arms. They asked me several times if I died my arm hair- and kept wanting me to roll up my pants so they could see if I had hair on my legs, too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list, and so true! I might add when someone yells out "white lady!" you know it's you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this list! I'm an MK too, but from the South Pacific. It's still funny how many things are the same. I hope you don't mind, I reblogged this list here: http://roadonmyjourney.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/interesting-mk-tidbit-48/ and added a few things of my own, like "12. You have to look at a car to see which side the steering wheel is on, so you know which door to get in." since they drive on the other side where I grew up :-)
    I did link back here and gave you the credit for the idea. Thanks for sharing this!
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so I know that I am waaaaaaay behind the times by commenting now...but...I had to! So, I am an MK too--in Honduras. So...estamos cerca! I know all about switching idiomas a mitad de paso. ;) I like doing it for fun. I found this blog, and I think it is pretty awesome. I can DEFINITELY relate to the majority of this list, and I haven been able to relate or feel a LOT of what you have written about. It is nice to be able to follow a fellow MK's blog. Thanks for posting. Tenga un buen dia.
    ~Allana

    ReplyDelete