Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My life used to be normal...

"Remember when your life used to be normal?" My mom asked me as we quickly got ready at 3:30 in the morning so that we could take a teenage mother and her very sick son to the hospital and then sit on the floor outside the intensive care unit for 13 hours. Ever since then I've been thinking about that a lot. I think there was a time when my life used to be normal, but my whole idea of normal has begun to change. The things I used to think were normal, now seem vain and insignificant.

Instead of sleeping in until noon, I wake up every three hours on the weekend to feed a baby.


Not the thing a normal teenager would do...

Instead of spending my afternoon at sports practices or hanging out with friends, I spend my afternoon praying for children at the hospital whose names I will never know, as they take their last breath.


Surely I once did normal things...

Instead of purchasing my coffee and taking a seat in a pew in the middle of the cool crowd, only to consider myself christian enough until next Sunday, I sit next to the prostitute and worship the Lord in more than one language for the grace He has given us.


I think there was a time when my life was normal....

Instead of going shopping and gossiping with friends, I find myself changing poopy diapers filled with parasites.


Maybe there was a time when my life was normal...

Instead of spending my evenings at the movies, I spent my time talking to the boy who has lived through more than I have ever imagined, telling him that there is hope.



What is normal?

I'm not sure I even know what the term means anymore.

But I have been learning that when your life doesn't look like everyone else's then you're probably doing something right.

"My child, do not walk in the way with them; hold back your foot from their paths" Proverbs 1:15

My life may not be what anyone else would consider normal, but it has become normal to me.

6 comments:

  1. Keep strong in the Lord!!
    I'll be praying for you.
    Your Sister in Christ,
    Keila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty convinced that anything I once thought was normal really was completely boring. Life's always an adventure when God's the one steering the ship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post, Addisyn. This was just what I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! You don't know me but your blogs are seriously amazing and inspire me so much! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written! Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me cry. It's like your words are mine. Thank you for being you and encouraging me to keep living my normal and not wishing for something else. I just so wish we could be together and live life alongside each other! I love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete